Thai Salad in a JarFebruary 7, 2017 By Cathy — 7 Comments
Crunchy vegetables, nutty farro, and tender shredded chicken are layered in a mason jar and shaken up with a bright and tangy Thai dressing. Take it on the go and shake it up when you’re ready for lunch!
I don’t remember when it was that I started to like salad. When I ordered a salad because I actually craved it, not because all of my girlfriends were ordering one. I used to think of salad as a starter, not a meal. But those were the days of iceberg lettuce and out of season tomatoes.
Salads in my adult years have become cravable, filling and satisfying. I love to experiment with flavors and textures and the layering of ingredients. A resounding yes to a good mix of crunchy vegetables and nuts, sweet fruit and a vibrant, tangy dressing. A salad becomes a meal with a little protein in the mix…shredded chicken, grilled fish, a handful of cheese.
There’s no salad that better encompasses all of these things than a salad in a jar. You build this salad from the bottom up, beginning with the dressing. Next come your sturdier ingredients like hearty grains (think farro or quinoa) and crunchy vegetables (carrots or cabbage). Depending on your flavor profile, next comes chicken, cheese or even tofu. Top that off with your lighter ingredients (greens and fruit) and finish it with a sprinkling of nuts, herbs or green onion.
What makes this salad a winner isn’t just its eye-catching appeal or combination of ingredients, but the fact that it’s portable. Pack it all in a mason jar, twist on the lid and pop it in the frig until you’re ready to eat. You can make it before bed and grab it on your way out the door in the morning. No excuse not to eat well midday or scrap together lunch from a vending machine.
You can make your salad in a jar to suit your tastes. Berries in season? How about a berry spinach salad with feta and simple vinaigrette? Love Mexican flavors? Layer in pico de gallo, cojita cheese and black beans. I love Thai flavors so that’s the recipe I’m sharing today. I made a flavorful dressing with fish sauce, soy sauce, lime and ginger. It has a ton of bright, crunchy vegetables, nutty farro and roasted peanuts and a little sweetness from diced mango. It’s filling and hearty and healthy. That’s a winning trifecta in my book.
Need more inspiration? Take a look at my video to see how easy it to make your own. A little prep and planning and before you know it you’ll be layering and shaking like a pro!
- Thai Dressing
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 1½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salad Fixings
- Farro (cooked according to package instructions)
- Purple Cabbage
- Cooked, shredded chicken breast
- Boston or Romaine Lettuce
- Mango, ripe
- English cucumber
- Roasted peanuts
- Green onions
- * 24 oz wide-mouth mason jars with tight fitting lids
- Thai Dressing: Blend all ingredients in a food processor or whisk everything together except the olive oil. Add the olive oil in a steady stream while continuously whisking. (You'll have enough dressing for approximately three salads.)
- For One Salad in a Jar: Layer ¼ - ⅓ cup of each ingredient in the following order: 3 Tbsp salad dressing, farro, shredded purple cabbage, shredded carrots, shredded cooked chicken, shredded lettuce, diced mango and diced cucumber.
- Top with 2 Tbsp roasted peanuts, 1 Tbsp chopped green onion and 1 Tbsp minced cilantro.
- Shake well and pour into a bowl to serve.