Your favorite burrito deconstructed. No wrap. no problem…this is a all chicken burrito goodness in a bowl. Tasty black beans, spiced chicken, lime and cilantro rice topped off with creamy avocado dressing.
When we head out for dinner, Mexican food is a popular choice for my family. We each have our favorites, from simple tacos to burritos to fajitas, mild for them and extra spicy for me. Unfortunately we’re always a little underwhelmed when we order Mexican for takeout. Limp tortillas and murky guacamole being two common culprits.
The good news is if you don’t feel like venturing out, you can have your favorite Mexican dish on the table in under an hour. Today we’re making chicken burrito bowls with avocado dressing. I’ve piled these bowls full of all my my favorite flavors…loads of lime and cilantro; well-seasoned, healthy ground chicken; fresh tomatoes, zesty black beans; and silky smooth avocado dressing.
My boys also love to layer all these ingredients in a thermos and take it to school for lunch. They warm it up, keeping the dressing on the side to pour over the top when they’re ready to eat. Oh, and maybe make a little extra dressing too. It’s great in place of mayo on sandwiches, drizzled over eggs, or swirled into chili!
Use this recipe as jumping off point and let you creativity take over. Prefer salsa to fresh tomatoes? Want to dial up the heat? Or want a vegetarian bowl? Make the swaps that suit your tastes. Or leave it exactly as is, because, hey, it’s damn good!
Let’s make Chicken Burrito Bowls with Avocado Dressing
- Make the brown rice according to the package directions.
- Stir the lime zest, lime juice, and cilantro into the rice.
- While the rice cooks, cook the ground chicken.
- Once the chicken is cooked though, add the spices and water.
- Reduce the heat to low and keep the ground chicken warm.
- Saute the shallots in a saucepan.
- Add the black beans, seasoning and spices to the shallots. Simmer on low.
- Blend all of the ingredients for the avocado dressing together until smooth. Thin with additional water if necessary.
- Using the rice as a base, pile the chicken, tomatoes, beans, cheese and cilantro in a bowl.
- Drizzle with the avocado dressing and serve.
Tips for success
- These bowls come together quickly and easily if you start by making the longest cooking item first…the brown rice. While the rice cooks, cook up the ground chicken, then the beans, and finally whip up that avocado dressing. I like these bowls best served warm, but they’re tasty at room temperature too.
- The avocado dressing will keep in the refrigerator for a day without oxidizing too much, (thanks to the lime juice) but it’s definitely best to eat it as close to making it as possible.
- If you can’t find ground chicken in your market, ground turkey or beef make a great substitute.
- Make this recipe your own by swapping ingredients (i.e. pinto for black beans), adding a good splash of hot sauce, a dollop of sour cream, or a spoon of salsa. The best part is that they’re completely customizable!
Craving more? Try these Mexican favorites!
Your favorite burrito deconstructed. No wrap. no problem...this is a all chicken burrito goodness in a bowl. Tasty black beans, spiced chicken, lime and cilantro rice topped off with creamy avocado dressing.
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs ground chicken or turkey
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water
- splash of hot sauce like Cholula if desired
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, diced (1 small onion)
- 4.5 oz green chiles, chopped (1 can)
- 15 oz black beans, drained (1 can)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 avocado, pitted and scooped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 10 oz grape tomatoes, chopped (1 dry pint)
- 1/2 cup cheddar or Mexican mix cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- lime wedges
- 2/3 cup water (+ more if needed to thin)
Cook rice according to package directions and then stir in the cilantro, lime zest, and juice. Season with kosher salt to taste. Reserve.
While the rice cooks, heat the olive oil in a nonstick saute pan over med/high heat. Add the ground chicken and saute until cooked through. Add a big splash of Cholula if desired.
Add the seasonings and water and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Keep warm.
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened, about 5 mins.
Stir in the drained beans, green chiles, and season with cumin. Reduce heat to low and cook until warmed through. Reserve.
Blend all the ingredients together in a mini prep, food processor, or blender until emulsified. Reserve.
Divide the rice between six bowls. Top with a scoop of ground chicken, black beans, chopped tomatoes, grated cheese, a sprinkle of minced cilantro, and drizzle with avocado dressing. Serve with lime wedges.
- These bowls come together quickly and easily if you start by making the longest cooking item first...the brown rice. While the rice cooks, cook up the ground chicken, then the beans, and finally whip up that avocado dressing. I like these bowls best served warm, but they're tasting at room temperature too.
- The avocado dressing will keep in the refrigerator for a day without oxidizing too much, thanks to the lime juice, but it's definitely best to eat it as close to making it as possible.
- If you can't find ground chicken in your market, ground turkey or beef make a great substitute.
- Make this recipe our own by swapping ingredients (pinto for black beans), adding a good splash of hot sauce, a dollop of sour cream, or a spoon of salsa. The best part is that they're completely customizable.