Sausage RollsFebruary 1, 2016 By Cathy — 4 Comments
Tasty bites of sweet sausage wrapped in puff pastry. These sausage rolls are perfect Superbowl snacks!
Hut, Hut, Eat!
That’s basically what the Superbowl comes down to for me. Well, not just the food. I enjoy the commercials, filling my name in the
winning squares, the craft beers and oh, yeah, the game. Look, a football aficionado I am not, but a connoisseur of Superbowl snacks; that’s my game.
The game, the parties, the food, the drink…the Superbowl is a celebrated day of excess and fun. It’s the day we’re not only allowed, but expected to put forth trays of rich, spicy, bacon-flecked foods wrapped in buttery crusts with sides of gooey, cheesey sauces. We’re supposed to eat too much, drink too much and cheer too loudly. Only one problem: it’s a Sunday night.
My husband Steve has forever declared that the Monday after the Superbowl should be a national holiday. I have to agree. I bet if we looked into the level of productivity in the workplace on the post-Superbowl Monday, most companies would see a substantial dip versus the average start to the work-week. We’re tired, we’re full, and in the case of die-hard football fans, in mourning until the whole thing kicks off again in August.
Ah, but we can’t let the crushing blow of Monday’s alarm clock squash our good time. Let’s go out swinging. And these sausage rolls pack a wallop. These tasty little bites of sweet Italian sausage mixed with herbs and Parmesan cheese are wrapped in buttery puff pastry, then piled high on plates and served with tangy whole grain mustard.
Sausage rolls have been a staple at every Superbowl party we’ve hosted ten years and counting. In fact, they’re in heavy rotation throughout the entire football season. They’re easy to prepare, freeze well and are one of the most requested appetizers I make. One catch though: no leftovers!
Check out my video to see just how easy it is to make this deliciously impressive appetizer.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tsp fresh oregano, minced
- 2 tsp fresh basil, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry (from a 17.3 oz package), thawed
- 1 egg
- Seeds (sesame, poppy, cumin) for topping
- *whole grain mustard for serving
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over med/high heat.
- Add onion and saute for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and continue to cook 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl combine sausage meat, Parmesan cheese, herbs, salt, pepper, onion and garlic.
- Using your hands, mix well to combine.
- Roll out puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface or between two sheets of wax paper until about 16 x 16 inches.
- Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, divide the puff pastry into three equal strips.
- Beat the egg with a couple tablespoons of water and using a pastry brush, brush one long side of each strip with the egg wash.
- Divide the sausage mixture into three equal portions and form into a long strip that reaches end to end of each puff pastry strip. Roll the puff pastry to enclose the sausage and press to seal.
- Brush each long roll with egg wash and sprinkle with seeds.
- Place on a parchment lined sheet tray and place in freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and remove from freezer.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, divide each log into 12 pieces. Place the pieces back on the lined sheet tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until sausage is fully cooked and puff pastry is golden brown.
- Serve warm with a side of whole grain mustard if desired.