Roasted Sweet Potato SaladJune 8, 2017 By Cathy — 4 Comments
This is definitely not your Mom’s potato salad! It’s savory with a little heat, a little sweet and it might just be your new favorite summer side.
Short and sweet today because I’m sending this out as I’m literally on my way out the door. We’re heading to Bonnaroo Mustic Festival for a weekend fueled with music and general debauchery. My parents are on kid-duty and we’ll be channeling our youth getting down to U2, the Chili Peppers and countlesss other bands over the course of the weekend.
To say that we’ve been looking forward to this weekend is beyond an understatement. Along with great music we’re meeting up with our bi-coastal besties and I can’t wait for a good catch up. No matter that Steve and I just came down with summer colds and it feels like I swallowed a bag of razors…I will not submit!
Before leaving I made sure to stock the frig with a some food for my folks and the boys and this sweet potato salad was a no brainer. It’s an easy side if you’re grilling up dinner or paired with a sandwich at lunch. And it’s just as good served at room temperature or chilled. It’s got sweet (pineapple), heat (chipotle chile powder) and a little smoky saltiness (bacon). This salad will be a constant in our summer menu rotation.
So, I’m off and I’ll meet you back here next week. Have a great weekend, because summer cold or not, I know I will!
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch dice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 5 strips of bacon
- 2 orange or yellow bell peppers (1 lb), cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut in to a ¼ dice
- ¼ cup chives, minced
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, minced
- Chili Lime Dressing
- 2 Tbsp shallot, minced
- 1 Tbsp finely minced ginger
- ½ tsp minced jalapeno pepper
- ¼ tsp chipotle chile powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1½ Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line two sheet trays with non-stick foil.
- Divide the sweet potatoes between the two sheet pans and drizzle evenly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast for about 30 mins or until tender and golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- While the potatoes are roasting fry the bacon until crisp in a non-stick skillet. Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and pour out all but 1 Tbsp bacon grease.
- Heat the pan over medium heat and add the diced peppers. Cook until softened and golden brown, about 5 mins. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl lightly toss together the sweet potatoes, peppers, pineapple and herbs. Add the dressing and toss and then crumble the bacon into the bowl and stir just until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired and serve.
- Dressing: Combine everything but the olive oil in a small food processor (alternatively you can whisk by hand) and process until blended. Add the oil and process until combined.
- *Salad can be prepared up to 3 hrs ahead and left at room temperature. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.