Margarita Chicken TacosMay 1, 2018 By Cathy — No Comments
Tender margarita marinated chicken tucked inside tortillas is perfect Cinco de Mayo party food!
Wooohooo!! Do you know what this week is? It’s Margarita Week my friends! This is the third annual seven day extravaganza hosted by Kate Ramos over at Hola Jalapeño! where we celebrate all things margarita leading up to Cinco de Mayo. Of course this week is chock full of every tequila-laced incarnation of a margarita under the sun, but it’s more than just cocktails. This year Kate has lined up 100 influencers that have contributed bites, desserts, and non-alcoholic drinks all inspired by the one, the only, margarita.
As much as I love a good cocktail, I decided to think out of the box this year. Last year I contributed this mango shrub margarita (and if you haven’t tried it yet, stop everything and make it now!) to the party, but this year I decided to take a foodie approach. Same margarita flavors, new bat channel.
We’re whisking together tequila, triple sec, lime, and orange juice with garlic, jalapeño, seasoning, and olive oil into a tasty marinade. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts take a long soak in the marinade (overnight is ideal) and then pour everything (chicken + marinade) into a pot, cover and cook. Once the chicken is tender, allow it to cool slightly, then shred it and return to the pot and all those yummy juices. Reheat it gently and get ready for taco time.
I like to warm the tortillas over an open flame and get a little char on them before piling on the shredded chicken. Next, remember that roasted tomatillo salsa we made a couple weeks ago? Well there is no better topping for these margarita chicken tacos. You can stop right there or go ahead and guild the lily with a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprinkle of cojita cheese. And don’t forget, if you’re looking for a tasty beverage to pair with these tacos, head on over to Hola Jalapeño for some margarita inspiration. And be sure to check back with her over the week as new recipes will be added right up until Cinco de Mayo. Cheers!
- Margarita Marinated Chicken
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 small jalapeño, chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup triple sec or other orange liqueur
- ½ cup tequila
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt and a few turns black pepper
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Soft flour or corn tortillas
- Creme fraiche or sour cream
- Cojita cheese
- Roasted tomatillo salsa
- Whisk all of the marinade ingredients together. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Pour the chicken and the marinade into a dutch oven or a heavy-bottomed pot. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat, reduce to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 20 mins.
- Cool slightly and shred. Add the chicken back to the juices in the pot and reheat gently until warmed though.
- Warm the tortillas and serve with the shredded chicken, creme fraiche, cojita cheese, and roasted tomatillo salsa