Frozen Cucumber Lemonade CocktailApril 20, 2018 By Cathy — No Comments
This cocktail will give you all the warm weather feels. Cooling cucumber, fresh herbs, lemon, and loads of ice blend up into frozen fun.
Can we just fast forward to summer? Fast forward to sun, surf, coconut-scented skin, and frosty drinks? Every year when spring is in full swing and summer plans begin to take shape, the inevitable question is asked…what will be the drink of the summer?
Well, we may still be donning winter coats, but the blender is out and my wheels are turning at full speed. I’ve dabbled in frozen concoctions in summers past like these peach sangria slushies or boozy watermelon popsicles stirred into glasses of champagne, but this year I’m thinking green.
This drink is inspired by our recent trip to Palm Springs and stay at the Parker Hotel. The mercury soared past 100 degrees and in between dips in the pool we sipped cool drinks. My favorite was “The Chucky”, a blend of lemonade, cucumber, mint and vodka. It was crisp and refreshing and I knew I had to replicate it as soon as I got home. So out came the blender, cucumber, herbs, and lemon.
Instead of pre-made lemonade I used a combination of simple syrup and freshly squeezed lemon juice to control the sugar content and make sure the finished product is thirst-quenching and not too sweet. I also added a handful of cilantro along with the mint to amp up the grassy herb flavor and piles of ice achieve that thick, frosty consistency that can stand up to the heat and won’t melt too quickly into a watery mess.
Let’s be bold and christen this cocktail the drink of the summer, but don’t let that stop you from enjoying it this spring. After all, Cinco de Mayo is only two weeks away and this cocktail pairs amazingly well with spicy food, tacos and guac. So break out the blender, grab the green and start your motors. Next stop, summer.
- 8 oz vodka
- 2 oz fresh lemon juice
- 6 oz simple syrup (1/2 cup sugar + ½ cup water)*
- 2 (heaping) Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 (heaping) Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 4-5 cups ice cubes
- Garnishes: lemon wheels, mint sprigs
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and garnish with a lemon wheel and mint sprig.
- *Simple Syrup: Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature or store, covered, in the refrigerator until needed.