Turkey StewNovember 27, 2015 By Cathy — 4 Comments
Hearty turkey stew with vegetables simmered in a creamy sauce. A delicious way to use up that leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
There are two types of people in this world. I’m not talking about right or left; early risers or night owls; Yankees or Red Sox. No, it’s a far more devisive topic. Leftovers. And not the the gray sweatsuit clad Justin Theroux jogging through the streets in the HBO drama. (I think we can all agree that’s pretty much the perfect leftover.) I’m referring to those of us that look forward to leftover night and those that going running for the menu drawer.
If you haven’t guessed, I’m a leftover lover. I often make a little extra dinner so I can have some the next day for lunch. My husband, not so much. He can open the frig, stare at the perfectly stacked tupperware containers of wonderfully edible food only to declare “there’s nothing to eat”. Grrrrr…
I don’t know about you, but I always have tons of leftovers after Thanksgiving. Some of this is intentional so I can make my favorite sandwich (thanksgiving-on-a-roll) or enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie with my coffee for breakfast, but frankly I always have more left than intended. Perhaps it’s because I have those Italian grandma genes and I always prepare for a small army regardless of the guest list. Whatever the cause, I usually have a pile of turkey left and need a way to transform it so my family will eat it for dinner.
Hello turkey stew! This is actually a snap to make since the turkey is already roasted. Just cook some vegetables in a yummy broth, add in the shredded turkey, simmer and walla! Dinner. This stew is hearty, creamy, and delicious sopped up with a buttermilk biscuit. And I’m pretty sure even you leftover-haters will have a hard time saying no to this dish.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock (additional stock if it's too thick)
- 2 tsp chicken base
- 4-5 ribs celery, chopped
- 4-5 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, and diced
- 6 cups turkey, cooked and shredded
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 2 tsp flat leaf parsley, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Heat oil and butter in a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium/high heat.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are softened, another 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in wine and broth, continually stirring.
- Mix in base. and add celery, carrots, and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add herbs, salt and pepper and shredded chicken.
- Simmer until heated through. Ladle into bowls and serve.