Super Fudgy BrowniesAugust 11, 2017 By Cathy — 1 Comment
Chocolate lovers rejoice! These brownies are decadent, fudgy and loaded up with three kinds of chocolate.
TODAY’S POST IS SPONSORED BY SCHARFFEN BERGER. OPINIONS ARE MY OWN AND I APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT OF THE BRANDS AND COMPANIES THAT SUPPORT WHAT SHOULD I MAKE FOR…
“These are the best friggin’ brownies I have ever had!” Okay, so I’m quoting my mom, but to be fair, she is one smart cookie. And you know what’s nuts? (No nuts in these brownies by the way.) I have never shared a brownie recipe on the blog before. So, here we go and points to my mom for being an excellent taste-tester. This recipe was worth the wait my friends.
Now, I know that there are two pretty firm (eh hem, rigid) brownie camps…cakey and fudgy, but I’m actually an equal opportunity brownie lover. I legitimately like both. But if pressed, gun to head, I’m picking fudgy. Because if I’m going for it and indulging, I am going for it and indulging. You feel me? I’m talking rich, decadent, chocolate-coma brownies.
I’m talking take a bite, close your eyes and swoon brownies.
Warm and gooey, just out of the oven brownies. Cooled and dunked in a glass of milk brownies. Stacked and topped with a scoop of melty vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and a cherry brownies. We’re going for weak in the knees, put a ring on it brownies.
So how do we achieve this brownie nirvana you ask? Well, that’s simple…loads of chocolate and more importantly, really good chocolate. When this fantastic box of Scharffen Berger chocolate arrived at my door, I immediately began recipe testing in my brain. Cakes, cookies…my chocolate neurons were firing. But then (ding, ding, ding) brownies. Simple, but at the same time, not so simple.
Let’s be clear, vanilla lovers need not apply. I’ve incorporated three kinds of chocolate plus cocoa powder to achieve a balance that is sweet (but not cloying) and truly a celebration of chocolate. And I promise this recipe will take you exactly 10 minutes longer than a box mix and will be at least 10 times better. So pour yourself a tall glass of milk and have at it. Oh, and if you’re so inclined, these make killer brownie sundaes.
Chocolate heaven awaits.
- 10 oz (2½ sticks) unsalted butter, chopped
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate (Scharffen Berger Baking Chunks)
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Scharffen Berger)
- 2 Tbsp strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (Scharffen Berger)
- 3 oz milk chocolate, coarsely chopped (Scharffen Berger)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper, allowing the paper to hang over the edges.
- Combine the butter and semisweet chocolate in a small bowl set over a pot of simmering water on the stove. Stir frequently until melted. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Scrape the butter/chocolate mixture into a large bowl and whisk in the sugar until well combined.
- Add the vanilla, salt, eggs and egg yolk and whisk well.
- Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir in the flour and cocoa powder until just combined. Don't overmix!
- Stir in the coffee and fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer.
- Bake for 25-30 mins or until brownies are set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs sticking to it.
- Cool for 10 mins in the pan and them remove the brownies using the overhanging parchment to ease them out of the pan.
- Cool completely and cut into 24 squares.