Spooky Halloween BreakfastOctober 30, 2015 By Cathy — No Comments
Strawberry orange smoothie in an orange jack 0’lantern, spiderweb toast and a ghostly hardboiled egg. Happy Halloween!
Halloween madness has taken over my house. My boys agonized over which costume to choose for weeks, only to circle back to their original choice two days ago. And then the mad scramble for sizes began. This morning I tore through the attic looking for their favorite trick or treat bags and later I’ll make the last minute trip to Target for candy to hand out. Fingers crossed they still have our favorites, or on second thought, maybe it’s better that they don’t.
Of course I vow every year and for every holiday that I’m going to be better prepared. Halloween costumes in September! Menu and shopping lists written weeks before Thanksgiving! Christmas shopping completed before December! But…not so much. Of course there are a million distractions; kids sports and activities, the daily grind, fun trips, the Bravo channel, or maybe just simply procrastination.
Ah, but Halloween redemption this morning! Today my boys got a spooky Halloween breakfast before school…toast and cream cheese spiderwebs, ghostly hardboiled eggs and strawberry orange smoothies served in an orange jack o’lantern. This breakfast is kid friendly, nutritious and a healthy start to a sugar fueled weekend. So, while we may be stuck with licorice and raisins in our candy bowl and their costumes a little snug, after this breakfast I know I can put at least one win in the holiday bank.
- Strawvberry Orange Smoothie
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 - 6 oz strawberry yogurt
- 2 oranges
- Ghostly Hardboiled Egg
- 2 eggs
- Black food writer marker
- Spiderweb Toast
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- ⅓ cup whipped cream cheese
- 2 tsps milk or cream
- Strawberry Orange Smoothie - Cut off the top of the oranges and cut around the inner edges of the peel. Scrape out the orange segments with a spoon (don't worry about keeping them intact as they will be blended).
- Place the orange segments, frozen strawberries and yogurt in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Carve the scooped out orange into a jack o'lantern if desired and pour the smoothie into the orange cup (you will have extra smoothie)
- Ghostly Hardboiled Egg - Place eggs in a saucepan with enough cool water to cover.
- Cover with lid and bring to a rolling boil, then turn off heat.
- Let eggs stand in water for 10 mins.
- Remove eggs and place in an ice bath until cooled.
- Pat eggs dry and color a ghost face on each with the marker.
- Spiderweb Toast - Cut bread into shapes with a webbed shape cookie cutter (a large round cutter will work just fine) and toast
- Stir cream cheese with cream until smooth and place in a piping bag or plastic bag. You can use a small round pastry tip or just cut the end of the bag to pipe cream cheese onto the the toast in a spiderweb pattern.