Simple Grilled ZucchiniAugust 2, 2016 By Cathy — 9 Comments
Zucchini is tossed with olive oil and lemon zest for a super simple summer side!
I sat down to dinner with some girlfriends the other night and began picking their brains for which types of recipes they would like to see on the blog. We were eating a simple meal of grilled shrimp, steak and zucchini. Dishes I’ve made a thousand times over and barely give a second thought. And they both said…”how about this zucchini?”
“Eh”, I said, “it’s so simple, who would be interested in this?” And then a resounding…”Us!”
Thing is, I often forget that recipes don’t have to be complicated to be useful. In fact, it’s usually the opposite. The little tricks that are second nature to me can be new to someone else. My friend pointed out that she never thought to cut the zucchini diagonally (more surface area prevents it from slipping through the grates on the grill) or use lemon zest to enhance the flavor.
I’ve made grilled zucchini and other vegetables a zillion different ways over the years, but for my family, this super simple preparation is the favorite. No vinegar or special seasonings required and it can be on the table in minutes. Check out the short video below and get ready to fire up the grill!
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat your grill to high heat.
- Slice zucchini on the bias into ¼ inch think ovals and toss with the rest of the ingredients.
- Lay zucchini ovals directly on the hot grill and cook until deep grill marks appear, about 3 mins. Reserve the lemon/olive oil mixture.
- Carefully flip and repeat on the other side.
- Remove and arrange on a serving plate and drizzle with the reserved lemon/olive oil mixture.