Mocha Ice Cream SodaJuly 19, 2016 By Cathy — 6 Comments
Cool and creamy, this mocha ice cream soda is a grown up summer treat!
Today’s post is sponsored by KINGS Own Brand, a new line of signature favorites. Opinions are my own and I appreciate your support of the brands and companies that support What Should I Make For…
If there is anything I love as much as chocolate, it’s coffee. I grew up in a house of serious coffee drinkers. My parents made coffee on the stove in an old-fashioned percolator, long after drip coffee makers became the norm. It was all about the timing. Just as it started to perk, you had about one minute to turn it down and set the timer or be faced with a major spill and messy clean up.
I used to hate the pressure of watching the pot on the stove, but as I began to develop a taste for coffee, I understood the appeal. The flavor really is a world apart from drip coffee, but alas my lack of patience trumps my desire for the perfect cup. So apart from making an occasional latte or espresso, I’m all about the drip coffee maker these days.
Hot summer days do not diminish my need for a big cup of joe to start my day, but I find I don’t drink as much as I do in the colder months. I often have a cup or two left over that is perfect for a mid-day iced coffee or it somehow finds it’s way into a recipe. Today I’ve incorporated that leftover cup into a rich mocha syrup, which is delicious drizzled over ice cream or stirred into a shake or ice cream soda.
I recently sampled the creamy latte macchiato gelato from KINGS Own brand new line of products and knew my mocha syrup had met it’s match. It was so good spooned over the top, but I was looking for something with a little more pop to serve to some guests arriving in the evening. I love anything fizzy and served in a fun glass so I knew ice cream sodas were the way to go. The rich coffee flavors, subtle chocolaty undertones and bubbly sparkling water give this kid favorite a decidedly grown up twist. It’s not overly sweet or as heavy as a big sundae, making it the perfect way to cap off a relaxing summer day. Not to mention a great way to use up that extra cup of morning coffee! Enjoy!
- Mocha Syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Ice Cream Soda
- Half n half
- Mocha syrup
- Kings Sparkling Water
- Kings Own Latte Macchiato Gelato
- Whipped cream, chocolate covered espresso beans and maraschino cherries for garnish
- Mocha Syrup: Whisk together the cocoa powder, coffee, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for a couple minutes, whisking constantly until sugar and cocoa powder are dissolved and mixture is syrupy. Remove from heat and chill. You'll have enough syrup for several ice cream sodas.
- Ice Cream Soda: In a large (ice cream soda) glass combine 1 oz half n half with with 2 oz of the mocha syrup and stir well to combine.
- Fill glass about ¾ full and top with 2-3 scoops of gelato and top with a little more club soda.
- Top with whipped cream, a couple chocolate espresso beans and a maraschino cherry if desired.
- Serve with a straw and a long spoon. Enjoy!