Leftover Turkey TacosNovember 21, 2017 By Cathy — No Comments
Transform your favorite Thanksgiving leftovers into a Taco Tuesday treat.
Raise your hand if you always feel like you’ll never eat again after Thanksgiving?
Oh sorry, it’s hard to type with two hands up.
But seriously, after completely overdoing it and swearing off food forever, the next day I’m scrounging through the frig pulling out all of the usual suspects…turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce. As the queen of leftovers I’m always good for at least one Thanksgiving on a Roll…my favorite sandwich that I only indulge in once a year. But after the remaining leftovers are packaged up and parceled out, I find that I’m usually left with an excess of two things…turkey and cranberry sauce.
And you know what they say when life hands your turkey and cranberries…you make tacos.
That’s right, Taco Tuesday is a little different today. We’re transforming those leftovers into a whole new meal. The turkey is cooked with onions, jalapeños, chili powder and cumin, then folded inside a lightly charred tortilla and topped with cilantro, sour cream, avocado and a big dollop of cranberry chutney. The cranberry chutney replaces your usual salsa or pico and brings a hint of sweet and a whole lot of zesty to these tacos that taste nothing like yesterday’s dinner.
Okay, keeping it short and sweet today my friends because if I don’t head back to the kitchen now there won’t a Thanksgiving dinner to be had, let alone any leftovers. I hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving filled with way too much food, laughter and love.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 8 oz leftover turkey, diced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- kosher salt and pepper
- leftover cranberry chutney
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 8 flour tortillas, warmed or charred (fajita size, 6 inch)
- Heat the olive oil over med/high heat in a large saute pan until hot. Add the onion and jalapeño and saute until golden brown, about 8 mins.
- Add the turkey and spices and cook until heated through, stringing constantly, about 5 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spoon some of the chicken/onion mixture on a tortilla shell and garnish with cranberry chutney, sour cream, cilantro and avocado.