Kale Caesar Salad with Parmesan ToastsNovember 1, 2016 By Cathy — 14 Comments
Creamy dressing, crunchy kale and crispy parmesan toasts = salad perfection.
We always have a well-stocked candy jar in our house. Believe it or not, I’m usually not tempted by it. And my boys are so conditioned to it, that they rarely dig in other than occasionally grabbing a mini bar for a quick dessert. But then Halloween rolls around and all self control goes out the window.
I begin mentally rationing out M&M’s and debate skipping the granola on my morning yogurt in favor of a couple mini Reese’s cups. I’m busy doing candy bar math (how many minis equal one regular size) and trying to figure out a way to talk my kids into parting with the last Mounds bar.
It’s gotta stop. It’s time to hit the reset button.
And reset we will. With this kale caesar salad.
This is a clean, crisp and classic salad. It makes for a great starter, a light lunch or an easy dinner topped off with a piece of grilled fish or chicken. Instead of regular croutons, I slice up a baguette and broil it with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. It has the right amount of cheesy crunch and it’s just the bridge I need to cross back from candy bar decadence to reasonable meals.
I may miss the pumpkin shaped peppermint patties and tiny Twix’s, but I won’t miss the candy crash. And I have to keep my wits about me to tackle all of the Thanksgiving recipes I have swirling around my brain. That’s right, I’m ready to turn my jack o’lanterns into pumpkin pies and get my Thanksgiving on. I’ll be posting the first of many Thanksgiving inspired dishes this Friday. And next Monday I’ll be sharing a “virtual Thanksgiving party” with a few of my very talented blogger friends. So much to look forward to during this time of year! Maybe I’ll have just one more piece of candy before it all gets started…
- Caesar Dressing
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp anchovy paste
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Parmesan Toasts
- 1 baguette, sliced on the bias
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 bunch Lacinato (Tuscan) kale, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 5 oz baby kale
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shaved
- Dressing: Whisk all ingredients except olive oil together in a small bowl, and then add the oil in a steady stream while continually whisking. Alternatively the dressing can be blended in a food processor or mini prep. Set aside.
- Parmesan Toasts: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread out the baguette slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the toasts with grated parmesan cheese and broil until the cheese is melted and the toasts are golden brown. Watch carefully so the toasts don't burn!
- Salad: Toss the kale with enough dressing to coat, ideallyl 30 mins before eating. Toss with shaved parm and serve with parmesan toasts and extra dressing on the side.