Homemade Graham CrackersApril 18, 2016 By Cathy — 14 Comments
Homemade graham crackers with a touch of sweet honey and cinnamon are the perfect snack and so much better than the store-bought variety.
When I would walk home from school as a child, I had one thing on my mind…my afternoon snack. I would burst through the door, throw my bag down and head straight into the kitchen to invade the snack cabinet. My choice of snack was often some type of cracker or if I was feeling a little sneaky, a cookie or two. Even though our cracker selection wasn’t particularly exciting, I was always happy with a stack of saltines, handful of triscuits or even better, graham crackers.
I’m a sucker for graham crackers in any form: a buttery crust, stacked with gooey marshmallows and melted chocolate or simply on their own with a cold glass of milk. But once I started making graham crackers from scratch, it was like the skies opened up and the heavens shined down.
Okay, maybe not as dramatic as all that, but homemade graham crackers are crazy good. (And easy!) They are sweetened with honey, molasses and brown sugar, but not overly so. And the combination of whole wheat and all-purpose flours give the crackers a sturdiness and chew that the store-bought kind is lacking.
Graham cracker crumbles make an excellent topping too. This creamy blueberry fool I made earlier in the month was even better with a homemade graham cracker crushed over the top. Or how about trading in your usual granola for graham crumbles on your yogurt? It never hurts to mix up the morning routine.
The kid in me still loves a couple of graham crackers for my afternoon snack, but these days I usually pair it with coffee instead of milk. It’s just what I need for a little midday pick-me-up. My boys love them too and now it’s their turn to run through the door when they get home from school and make the mad dash for snacks. And like their mom, a few graham crackers is just what they’re looking for. And even better when they’re fresh out of the oven instead of the boring old box!
- 8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ¾ cups whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- *2 ½ inch square cookie cutter, with or without fluted edges
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a sheet tray with parchment.
- Beat the butter with the sugar, molasses and honey until light and fluffy, about 2 mins.
- Add the cinnamon, salt and both flours and mix until just combined.
- Roll out the dough between two pieces of wax paper that have been lightly dusted with flour until ¼ inch thick.
- Using the square cookie cutter, cut out 28 graham crackers (rerolling the scraps as necessary) and place them on the lined sheet tray.
- Use a fork to prick three decorative lines on each cracker.
- Bake for 20 mins, or just until crackers begin to brown at the edges.