Ham and Egg Muffin CupsAugust 22, 2017 By Cathy — No Comments
Grab em and go! These handy egg muffin cups are great for entertaining or breakfast as you head out the door.
I have a two-fer for you today…a recipe that pulls double duty as a great brunch dish for entertaining and a quick grab-and-go weekday breakfast. These ham and egg muffin cups are super simple, very adaptable and can be easily doubled if you’re cooking for a crowd (or just a bunch of hungry, hungover houseguests).
I love egg dishes that can be whipped up en masse and baked off in the oven leaving you time to get the toast buttered, fruit sliced and bacon fried. I made these laden with ham and cheese to please my green vegetable-semi-phobic children, but they would also be delicious with spinach, broccoli, peppers, or even just a ton of fresh herbs. I even got a little fancy and popped a slice of ham in each cup before filling them, but they would be just as good and even faster to the table if you decide to skip it.
These will definitely be on the breakfast menu for our last hurrah of summer entertaining at the shore. People can wake up when it suits them, grab an egg muffin cup (warm or at room temp) and head to the beach to soak in the last days of summer.
They’ll also be in heavy rotation when the school year starts back up. My boys are in charge of making their own breakfast and lunches now, so you know having a stack of these in the frig at the ready might just earn me “mom of the year” status. And who knows….I may just throw a few spinach leaves in there to see if a busy school morning is just the inspiration they need to get a little more green in their diet.
As we’re heading out the door right now for a little road trip of our own to visit some friends, I hear the microwave whirring and water bottles being filled. The boys are heating up the last of these egg muffins for the ride. So hey, guess it’s actually a three-fer, (brunch for a crowd, make-ahead weekday breakfast or road trip snack) but who’s counting.
- 12 slices ham (square) + ⅔ cup ham, diced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (1 heaping cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 11 large eggs
- ⅓ cup whole milk or half n' half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp parsley, minced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Line each muffin cup with a slice of ham. Sort of fold it to fit in the cup, but don't worry if it doesn't cover the cup fully.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saute pan and add the diced onion and garlic. Saute over medium/low heat until translucent, about 5 mins. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs with the milk until well blended. Stir in the diced ham, cheese, salt, pepper, onions and garlic mixture, and parsley.
- Divide evenly into the prepared muffin cups. The egg mixture will seep around the slice of ham to fill the cup.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until fully cooked and not wobbly. Serve warm or at room temperature.