Grilled GuacamoleMay 5, 2016 By Cathy — 4 Comments
It wouldn’t be Cinco de Mayo without guac. Here’s everyone’s favorite with a twist – grilled guacamole! Creamy, smoky and spicy…this is how to celebrate!
Happy Cinco de Mayo! How are you celebrating today? Me, I’m grabbing a bag of salty tortilla chips, a cold beer and a bowl of this grilled guacamole and digging in. We are big fans of guac in this house. In fact, I make fresh guacamole at least once a week for my son and wrap it in soft flour tortillas and tuck it inside his lunchbox. He never tires of it and he inspired me to give it a fresh spin for Cinco de Mayo by heading for the grill.
I had a salad recently that was topped with grilled avocado slices and I knew that the slightly charred flavor would add a smokiness to our house favorite. But then I decided to take it a step further. Not only did I throw the avocado on the grill, but I added the onion slices, jalapeño pepper and even a lime. I grilled everything until the edges were charred and they began to caramelize and it resulted in a guacamole that had a deep, warm and slightly spicy flavor. A definite keeper. In fact, I’m thinking it would be fun to host a party and serve only Mexican-inspired appetizers…a few different versions of guac, salsas, mini tacos and quesadillas. And of course margaritas and cold beer! Too bad this just occurred to me now, because it would the perfect plan for a Cinco de Mayo party. Note to self, plan ahead next year!
If Cinco de Mayo has you craving Mexican flavors then head south of the border for breakfast with this Mexican Breakfast Bowl or these Corn Pancake Breakfast Tacos. And oh boy would this grilled guacamole would be a delicious addition to both. And maybe for dinner give these Carne Asada Tacos a try. The charred onion relish that I spoon over the top is one of my favorite condiments and is also delicious served next to a bowl of corn chips for dipping. I can see my appetizer party taking shape!
I’d love to hear how you’re celebrating today and if you’re heading out or cooking at home. Either way, I hope you’re taking Lionel Richie’s advice to party all night long! Fiesta forever!
- 1 avocado, cut in half and pit removed
- 2 - ½ inch thick slices red onion
- 1 jalapeño, halved and seeded
- 1 lime, halved
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Turn grill to high and preheat.
- Rub the avocado, onion slices, one half lime and jalapeño with olive oil. Place avocado cut side down on grill. Cook about 3 mins or until slightly charred.
- Place jalapeño, onion slices and one half of the lime on grill. Close the grill and cook, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Hold the avocado half in your hand and cut through in a cross hatch, without cutting through the skin. Scoop out into a bowl. Repeat with the other half.
- Chop the onion and jalapeño and add to the avocado.
- Squeeze the juice from both halves of the lime (grilled and fresh) onto the avocado mixture. Add the tomato, cilantro, salt and stir together to combine.