Grilled Apple CrispAugust 12, 2016 By Cathy — 20 Comments
Perfect for camping or tailgating, a grilled apple crisp in a foil pack is a deliciously simple and portable version of the classic.
I want to love camping. I really do. I love the idea of settling in around a blazing fire, toasting a couple of marshmallows on the perfect stick until gooey and charred. Coffee in a metal pot. Fried eggs in a cast iron skillet nestled into the coals.
But then the reality of it all kicks in. The tent so hot it’s suffocating in the morning. Showering (or the lack thereof). And don’t even get me started on nocturnal wildlife.
See the part of me that really wants to go camping has so many great ideas for camping food. Hearty stews, pancakes over the fire and s’mores everything. But the other part of me that is a camping-phobe (and that’s about 85% of me) says why not stay at home with running water and AC and have a camping inspired meal instead. Ideas for camping dinners come easy. Burgers and dogs, skewered kabobs, beans and baked potatoes with all the fixings. But desserts, well, it often begins and ends with s’mores. And don’t get me wrong, I love s’mores. But sometimes you need to branch out. And since a popular cooking method for fish and veggies is a foil pack, why not an easy dessert? This grilled apple crisp cooked in a foil pack is as delicious as it is simple.
- Toss chopped apples with lemon juice and sugar. Mix together a sugar and oat topping. Tear off a piece of non-stick foil and spoon on the apples and cover with a big scoop of the oat topping.
- Fold in half and crimp the edges.
- Place the crimped pouch on a piece of heavy duty foil and fold over and seal.
- Grill for 20 mins, open and enjoy! Even better…top with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. YUM.
This recipe is a good fit for a camping aficionado or foe. And with the fall rolling around (even though I’m still in denial), it would also make a great sweet alternative for your tailgate. If you’re a little more adventurous than me, mix up the oat topping in advance, grab a few apples and some foil and pack it for your next excursion. But trust me, this homey dessert tastes just as good sitting comfortably at my kitchen table. Or if I’m feeling particularly outdoorsy, my picnic table. Enjoy!
- 2 firm apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 oz unsalted butter, softened (1/2 stick)
- * non-stick foil and heavy duty foil
- ** vanilla ice cream and cinnamon for serving
- Toss apples with sugar and lemon juice and set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well until fully combined.
- Tear off four 11 inch pieces of non-stick foil. Alternatively spray four pieces of foil well with non-stick cooking spray. Tear off four 11 inch pieces of heavy duty foil and set aside.
- Set your grill to med/low heat.
- Spoon ¼ of the apples on one half of a piece of non-stick foil and top with ¼ topping.
- Fold foil over in half and crimp the edges.
- Place crimped pouch on a piece of heavy duty foil and fold in half and seal edges.
- Repeat with remaining three servings.
- Place on grill and cook for 20 mins. Remove and carefully open each pouch.
- Transfer to plates and serve with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon if desired.