Easy Asparagus SoupMay 23, 2016 By Cathy — 6 Comments
Healthy, satisfying and quick, this easy asparagus soup can be on your table in minutes.
I’ve professed my love for soup before, but as temperatures climb, I tend to steer away from my cold weather favorite and move toward cool, crunchy salads. But as I reached into the refrigerator to pull out some salad fixings over the weekend, I changed my mind. There’s no reason I have to abandon soup just because it’s May. Especially a soup that can be on the table in minutes. So armed with just a handful of ingredients, I pulled together this easy asparagus soup and topped it off with a lemony creme fraiche drizzle.
I always seem to have asparagus on hand in the spring and summer. It’s fast and delicious roasted in the oven, a little charred off the grill, or sautéed and tossed into pasta or risotto. It also makes a gorgeous, creamy soup. And because it only takes minutes for the asparagus to get tender enough to puree, you can enjoy it for lunch or dinner in under thirty minutes.
If you take a look at the recipe you’ll see that I’ve listed cream or yogurt as optional ingredients. I think it’s flavorful enough without adding the cream, but if you enjoy a little extra richness in your soup, go ahead and blend it in. For me a drizzle of the lemon creme fraiche is all the creaminess I need and the lemon adds zing to wake up your palate.
With bathing suit season right around the corner, I’m all about lighter meals that don’t make me feel like I’m missing out. We’re also in the middle of that busy time of year where spending time at the stove isn’t always possible, especially on a weeknight. It’s easy to pick up take-out on the way home from a game or turn to the menu drawer when your stomach is rumbling. But I don’t always make the best choices when I’m starving, so I like to have a couple of options at the ready in the frig. I can whip up a batch or two of this soup in the afternoon, then reheat it for a quick dinner. It’s fast, delicious and light. With just a little planning ahead I can avoid any over-ordering remorse and enjoy a big bowl of satisfying soup. Perfect in any season.
- Asparagus Soup
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- * ½ cup heavy cream or plain greek yogurt - optional
- Lemon Crème Fraiche
- ½ cup crème fraiche
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Asparagus Soup: Melt butter with olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute 3 mins and then add the garlic and saute another 2 mins.
- Add the asparagus, stock, salt and white pepper, cover and simmer 10-15 mins until the asparagus is just fork tender.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a blender until smooth. Add additional stock as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Blend in cream or yogurt if desired.
- Lemon Crème Fraiche : Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- To serve: Ladle soup into bowls ad drizzle with lemon creme fraiche.