Creamy Pasta with Sausage and MushroomsJanuary 15, 2016 By Cathy — 20 Comments
Comfort food made simple! Farfalle pasta is tossed with sausage and mushrooms in a creamy white wine sauce. YUM!
What’s your death row meal? That last thing you want to taste before you head off to the great beyond? I’ve thought long and hard about this. Not because I’m worried that this will somehow become my reality, but because I spend an obscene amount of time thinking about food. What would I want as my final bite? Pasta.
Sometimes you need a big bowl of pasta. You just do. We have salad and chicken and fish all the time for dinner, but every now and then you have to go for it. There is nothing that satisfies like a bowl of pasta. It’s hard to pick a favorite…smothered in a rich marinara, baked with cheese until golden or tossed in a light savory sauce; all are contenders for that final bite.
Macaroni is the common denominator for mealtime satisfaction in my house. When we’re debating what’s for dinner, some version of pasta is going to get four thumbs up. A quick and easy weeknight favorite is this creamy pasta with sausage and mushrooms. Sure, my boys might pick around the mushrooms, but they’re so caught up in this velvety sauce that they find a way to overlook them.
This dish is easy to pull together after that late soccer practice or when you come in the door starving from work. It takes minimal prep and can be on the table in about 30 minutes. The sauce is light and creamy, with chunks of browned sausage and mushrooms tossed in, and finished with parsley and savory parmesan.
I’m still debating which pasta dish I’d want to be my last, but this guy is definitely on the short list. Thankfully it’s not a decision I have to make anytime soon because I’m enjoying the research way too much.
- 1 pound box farfalle pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound sweet sausage, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- *additional chopped parsley and grated parmesan for serving
- Cook pasta according to package instructions for al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water when draining.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large saute pan over med/high heat and add olive oil.
- Add sausage and cook until browned and cooked through, 10 - 12 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute, then add the mushrooms, stirring well. Continue to cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently so the garlic doesn't burn.
- Add the white wine and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add cream and about ½ cup of the reserved pasta water (you can add more if needed as it cooks). Stir in the red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, parsley and parmesan.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss well.
- Top with a sprinkle of parsley and parmesan to serve.