Cornmeal WafflesDecember 23, 2015 By Cathy — 9 Comments
Cornmeal waffles topped with brown sugar honey butter.
We have one rule on Christmas day. Pajamas all day. See we’re all about being cozy and just relaxing together on Christmas. After we clean up all the paper and ribbon and finish wrestling with those impossible to open toy packages, we’ve worked up an appetite. We head into the kitchen to tackle breakfast and we always do something special. This year we’re busting out the waffle iron and making cornmeal waffles topped with brown sugar honey butter.
Growing up, Christmas Eve was the big day for my family. My parents would host an open house for our family and friends and there was a steady stream of guests piling their plates with meatballs, pasta, sausage and peppers and my Dad’s famous onion pizza. From the first knock at the door around noon, until the last guest left well past midnight, we ate too much, drank too much and laughed for hours.
As we got older, we even opened all of our gifts after the house cleared, so we could sleep in the next morning. When we finally emerged from our bedrooms the next day, we regrouped for breakfast and then hit the couches to, as my mother puts it, droop.
While traditions have changed and I stay at my own house for the holidays now, one thing has remained; a big Christmas breakfast and then hitting the couches to snuggle up together and watch a movie. Since my boys think waffles should be their own food group, I’m making a twist on one of their favorites for our special breakfast. Cornmeal adds a bit of crunch and texture to these waffles and a pinch of cinnamon in the batter amps up the flavor. Throw on a dollop of brown sugar honey butter and drizzle with syrup, and well, just yum.
I hope you enjoy your special traditions over the holidays and find a little time to just relax after all the madness. If you’re looking for me, I’ll be on the couch.
- Cornmeal Waffles
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp melted butter, cooled
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs, separated
- Brown Sugar Honey Butter
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- Cornmeal Waffles: Heat the waffle iron and preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk and egg yolks and stir into the flour mixture, combining to form a smooth batter.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Carefully fold in the eggs whites to the waffle batter, being careful not to overmix.
- Spoon ⅓ - ½ cup batter into each waffle compartment and cook until golden and crisp, about 3-4 minutes.
- Place cooked waffles on a baking sheet and hold in preheated oven while you cook the remaining waffles.
- Brown Sugar Honey Butter: Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Top waffles with butter and syrup if desired and enjoy!