Citrus Salad with Chive VinaigretteFebruary 29, 2016 By Cathy — 8 Comments
This vibrant citrus salad drizzled with chive vinaigrette will brighten any winter day.
You would never know it’s still February by the spectacular weather we’re experiencing in the northeast. The sun is streaming in through the window, those stubborn mounds of snow have finally melted and a jacket is barely needed. The brilliant weather outside inspired me to bring a little sunshine inside and I could think of no better way than with this colorful citrus salad.
This salad is vibrant in both color and flavor. It’s comprised of my three favorite citrus fruits: navel oranges, pink grapefruit and clementines that are peeled, sliced and drizzled with a chive vinaigrette. These gorgeous, juicy fruits are delicious on their own, but a splash of the chive vinaigrette really adds something special. It tempers the sweetness of the oranges and adds a bright herbaceousness to the salad.
The vibrant presentation and splashes of red, orange and yellow make this the perfect salad to serve at your next brunch. No pesky peels to deal with and it’s a bright spot in the winter season when fresh fruit isn’t always as varied and plentiful. But don’t feel like you need a special occasion to serve it. I enjoyed this citrus salad for breakfast this morning and it was great way to kick off the week. It’s simple, but definitely not boring.
When I work with fresh, seasonal ingredients, I try to let them shine without overcomplicating the dish. Sometimes it’s what you leave off that really makes a dish a keeper. Coco Chanel always said to remove one piece of jewelry before leaving the house so as not to overdo it. The same philosophy can apply to cooking. So before adding an extra handful of nuts or a sprinkling of herbs, give the dish of taste. Simple doesn’t mean uninspired and sometimes I think you’ll find that the missing ingredient may just be a dash of restraint.
- Chive Vinaigrette
- 3 Tbsp minced chives
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Citrus Salad
- 2 navel oranges
- 3 clementines
- 2 pink grapefruits
- Chive vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients for the salad dressing in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until emulsified. If you're not using a food processor, whisk together chives, honey, vinegar and salt. Pour olive oil into chive mixture in a steady stream while constantly whisking.
- Citrus Salad: Cut away peel and pith from all the citrus fruit with a sharp knife. Slice each fruit into rounds.
- Layer the citrus slices decoratively on a plate and drizzle with the chive vinaigrette.