Chocolate Chip Banana MuffinsApril 25, 2017 By Cathy — 6 Comments
Sweet enough for a light dessert, but also great for breakfast, these banana chocolate chip muffins are a cinch to whip up!
One of my very first posts when I started this blog was a recipe for banana bread inspired by my Grandma Ruth. I made a few tweaks to her recipe, but it remains largely the same as the original. Banana bread was a constant in my house growing up and it continues to be in my own home. I swear my boys purposely let the last few bananas go brown because they know there’s no way I can toss them. Usually those extra sweet browned bananas get stirred into flour and sugar and baked into our favorite loaf, but today I’m mixing it up.
I used my banana bread recipe as a jumping off point to create today’s chocolate chip banana muffins. They’re lighter and not as dense as the banana bread, but still crazy moist with a crunchy top thanks to a sprinkle of turbinado sugar. And of course I added a couple of good handfuls of bittersweet chocolate so these muffins work for breakfast or dessert.
Now, this recipe makes exactly twelve muffins so don’t try to stretch the batter to make more unless you like skimpy muffins (and c’mon, who likes that?). Fill the cups right up so they puff up and give those crunchy tops that are the signature of a solid muffin.
Are you a muffin-top only eater? I always think of Elaine from Seinfeld when I bake muffins. She would eat the top only and toss the “stump”. The top is definitely my favorite, but I promise these ones are good from top to toes.
And I’ve had no complaints from my banana bread-loving family. They’re just as happy, or maybe even happier, when one of these muffins shows up in their lunchbox or gets paired with a cold glass of milk after school. I’ll take mine with a cup of coffee and a good book. I think my boys won’t be the only ones letting the last couple bananas turn brown.
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 heaping cup mashed banana, about 3 very ripe bananas mashed well with a potato masher or large fork)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp turbinado sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pans with 12 paper liners. Set aside.
- Cream butter and both sugars with an electric mixer on med/high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg, blending well.
- Combine mashed banana and buttermilk in a small bowl and add the banana mixture to the creamed mixture and beat on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in small bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Stir in vanilla and chocolate chips, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for about 18 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the banana muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cooled to room temperature.