Chicken, Brie and Apple PaniniDecember 14, 2015 By Cathy — 1 Comment
Chicken, brie and apple panini sandwich, sweetened with a drizzle of honey.
Sometimes you just don’t feel like making dinner. But you don’t feel like digging through the menu drawer either. You want something quick, not a lot of pots and pans, not a lot of prep. Think panini.
There are countless variations of panini sandwiches. You can even throw in some fruit or nutella and have a sweet panini for dessert. Whatever your favorites are…veggies, meats, cheeses, pile them between two slices of bread and grill it on a hot panini press and…magic. There’s just something about those ridged grill marks that transforms even the most basic ingredients into a showstopper.
I don’t know about you, but during this of year I feel pulled in a million directions. An easy dinner is not only welcome, but necessary. I open the frig and get ready to pull together a MacGyver meal. My husband coined this term years ago when I would craft a delicious meal from a seemingly empty frig and pantry. For those of you too young to remember, MacGyver was a show that ran in the late 80’s about a secret agent that could get himself out of any jam with ordinary household items (think defusing a bomb with a paperclip). I may not be that skilled, but I can make a pretty tasty pressed sandwich with some leftovers.
I grab a couple of chicken cutlets (leftover from a meal earlier in the week), some Ciabatta bread and brie from snacking over the weekend, a handful of greens, an apple and some honey from the pantry. Add simply dressed greens on the side and in about 10 minutes….dinner! Take a look at the video to see just how simple and scrumptious a panini can be!
- 4 slices Ciabatta bread
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 thin, cooked chicken breasts, sliced
- 4 ounces brie cheese, sliced
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1½ Tbsp good honey
- 1 cup frisee
- Heat panini press on high.
- Using a pastry brush, brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil and lay out two slices of bread, oil side down.
- Arrange chicken slices on the bread slices, top with brie and apple slices.
- Drizzle honey, top with frisee and remaining bread slices, oil side up.
- Open the panini press and place each sandwich on the press and close the lid.
- Grill sandwich for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Slice in half and enjoy!