Carrot Ginger SoupMarch 3, 2017 By Cathy — 8 Comments
This velvety soup pairs the sweetness of carrots with ginger spice to warm you from the inside out.
Just as I was getting used to mild days and t-shirt weather, snap! Back to winter. It seems that pesky groundhog was right and it’s not time to put away that puffer coat just yet. But that’s okay since I haven’t finished making all of my cold weather favorites this season.
Now, I can eat soup in even 90 degree weather, but there is something especially warm and satisfying about a big bowl of soup on a chilly day. This recipe is one of my favorites for a few reasons. It’s easy, it’s fast, it’s healthy and it’s packed with flavor. I mean, could there be a more winning combination (said with my best Chandler Bing inflection)?
Do you have favorite recipes and meals that you revisit again and again in the winter? Recipes that warm you up and make everyone in your family happy? For me it’s soup. I’ve made butternut squash soup and this celery root soup so many times that I can do it blindfolded. And sauce and meatballs paired with a perfectly al dente pasta are Sunday staples. And no matter what the season or temperature I can never make these breaded chicken breasts too often for my family. If you open my frig right now, you’ll see a few stacked up for my kids to reheat for dinner tonight since me and the spouse have dinner plans.
I’d like to say I saved them some of this soup to pair with the chicken, but no such luck. I actually ate it for breakfast (don’t judge) and I have to tell you, this may be my new thing. When I went to grab for my usual yogurt I spotted the last container of soup in the frig, so I went for it. Turns out soup for breakfast was just what I needed. It was healthy, hearty and I have energy for days. See ya smoothie bowl and hello breakfast soup! Can we make this a thing?
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 heaping Tbsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- dash of white pepper
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 16 oz chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 (13.5 oz can) light coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- *garnish with sliced scallions and creme fraiche if desired
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot or dutch oven over med/nigh heat. Add the onion and saute for 3-4 mins.
- Add the garlic and saute 1-2 more mins.
- Add the carrots, minced ginger, spices, salt, white pepper, brown sugar and stock. Stir well to combine and cover.
- Cook over med/low heat for about 20-30 mins or until carrots are very tender.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a blender in batches until very smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot, add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer over med/low heat. Stir in the lime juice and serve with garnishes.