Butterscotch Muffins with Brown Sugar GlazeMay 16, 2016 By Cathy — 6 Comments
A tender crumb and sticky brown sugar glaze make these butterscotch muffins perfect for brunch or dessert.
When I was little nothing made me happier than opening up the frig and seeing little glass dishes filled with pudding lined up inside. It was all I could do to get through dinner knowing that little cup waited just across the finish line. Vanilla and chocolate were good, but when butterscotch pudding filled those cups, I gobbled up my peas and carrots at record speed.
I’ve always considered myself a chocoholic, but when you throw butterscotch into the mix, I tend to get swayed. Butterscotch blondies or scones are a favorite sweet treat and butterscotch bread pudding is frankly life changing. But today the muffin is my muse.
I changed up my favorite buttermilk muffin recipe by adding brown sugar and butterscotch chips and then sent it over the edge of delicious by drizzling the muffins with a brown sugar glaze. The result is somewhere between a muffin and a cupcake, perfect for brunch or dessert. The buttermilk gives the muffin the most tender crumb and the addition of brown sugar plays nicely with the buttery caramel glaze and those butterscotch chips.
Now, I don’t know about you, but I usually need a little extra push on a Monday morning. A bowl of shredded wheat simply does not compare to moist, buttery muffin. Pair it with a strong cup of coffee and you will be fully prepared to face the week ahead.
- Butterscotch Muffins
- 4 oz butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 package butterscotch chips, 11 oz
- Brown Sugar Glaze
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Butterscotch Muffins: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the melted butter, oil and sugars in a large mixing bowl and beat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and add one third to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add one cup buttermilk and mix until combined. Repeat alternating flour and buttermilk, ending with flour and mixing just until combined after each addition. Stir in vanilla and butterscotch chips.
- Divide batter into muffin tins lined with paper liners and bake about 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove muffins and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Brown Sugar Glaze: Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan and stir in brown sugar. Cook about 5 mins until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add salt and heavy cream and cook about two more mins. Drizzle over cooled muffins.