Easy Breaded Chicken BreastsMarch 30, 2016 By Cathy — 10 Comments
Stockpile these juicy, breaded chicken breasts for an easy weeknight dinner.
Whenever I ask my husband Steve what he wants for dinner, nine times out of ten it’s the same answer. “I don’t know…chicken over salad maybe?”. It’s pretty much a rhetorical question at this point. Sometimes I already know that I’m making something completely different, so I have no idea why I asked the question in the first place. Other times it’s to give me an easy out because I know it’s one of his favorites and I can make it in minutes.
There is a reason why he always requests these breaded chicken breasts. I marinate them in buttermilk which imparts a tangy flavor and makes them super tender, then I dredge them in parmesan breadcrumbs for a crispy coating. They’re never dry thanks to that buttermilk marinade and have tons of flavor. I use thin-cut chicken breasts so they literally cook up in about five minutes which means dinner is on the table in record time. They can be sliced and served on top of your favorite salad, paired with roasted veggies and mashed potatoes, or tucked into a roll with some lettuce and tomato for a tasty sandwich.
I’m now in the habit of cooking a whole tray of these whenever I make them and stockpiling them in the frig or freezer for days when there’s no time for dinner prep. Spring is always bonkers in our house…running to this practice or that game…so having a quick and easy dinner is a lifesaver. And everyone likes them…win/win. These are in the regular rotation for us, and I’m sure if you give them a try, they’ll be in yours too!
- 1 lb thin-cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- 1½ cups bread crumbs (panko, fresh bread crumbs or regular)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Oil, for pan frying
- Salt and pepper
- Whisk together buttermilk, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and paprika and pour into a gallon-size ziplock bag.
- Add chicken to bag and turn several times to be sure chicken is covered.
- Place bag in the refrigerator and allow chicken to marinate for at least two hours or overnight.
- Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a shallow dish.
- Removed chicken from bag, shaking off excess buttermilk and dredge in breadcrumbs. Place on a plate until ready to cook.
- Pour oil to cover the bottom of large non-stick frying pan and heat over med/high heat. Once oil is hot (but not smoking) add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook until golden brown on one side (about 3 mins) and then turn and cook an additional 2-3 mins. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat if chicken breasts are getting too brown and don't overcrowd the pan. You may need to cook these in two batches.
- Remove cooked chicken breasts to a wire rack placed over a cookie sheet to drain or place on a paper towel lined plate.