Blueberry and Mascarpone Stuffed French ToastMarch 24, 2017 By Cathy — 9 Comments
A dollop of tangy mascarpone and a scoop of fresh blueberries is stuffed inside french toast elevating it from good to sublime.
Don’t tell my husband, but I’ve been having a love affair.
I picked up a container from the store the other day and then forgot what I had planned to do with it. Maybe it was going to find its way into a cheesecake or get stirred into a risotto just before serving, but it didn’t stand a chance. Instead I cracked it open and added a spoonful to my oatmeal in the morning instead of a splash of milk.
And then it made its way into my lunch. I smoothed a scoop onto a piece of toast and topped it with some rosemary roasted grapes. I snapped a photo of that and posted it on Instagram with a quick recipe. I’ve been doing that lately…showing my Instagram feed a little love. Instagram is the one form of social media that I can get lost in, photo after photo of ridiculously gorgeous food. And then I’m left craving things I didn’t even know I liked…like chia pudding and spelt donuts. Does this happen to you too?
Anyway, I digress. I was feeling so inspired by that toast that I took it a step further and made it even more indulgent by stuffing the mascarpone and blueberries into challah bread to make french toast. Oh my! The tangy creaminess of the mascarpone, the plump, juicy blueberries, the light and airy challah with a lightly sugared, crispy crust…this stuffed french toast is everything.
This recipe is easy enough for a weekend breakfast, but dusted with a little powdered sugar and served alongside a good maple syrup and it’s most definitely company-worthy. But please don’t wait for a special guest to make this. And do yourself a favor and buy an extra container of mascarpone just to keep in the house. Before you know it, you’ll be finding a way to incorporate it into your breakfast, lunch and dinner just like this lovesick girl.
Have a great weekend!
- 1 lb loaf Challah bread, cut into 2 inch slices
- 1 - 8.8 oz container mascarpone, room temperature
- 6 oz fresh blueberries
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Butter for cooking
- *powdered sugar and maple syrup for serving
- Split each 2 inch slice of bread in half, without fully cutting though, forming a pocket.
- Spread a heaping spoonful of mascarpone inside the pocket and sprinkle with a handful of blueberries.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and salt until well blended.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter into a large nonstick pan over med/high heat.
- Take a piece of the stuffed french toast and dip it into the egg mixture, turning it to make sure all of the bread is soaked.
- Sprinkle a little sugar on one side of the bread and place it, sugared side down, in the hot pan. Repeat with a couple more slices. making sure the pan isn't too crowded (you'll need to cook it in batches).
- Sprinkle the tops of the bread with a little sugar while it cooks (about 2-3 mins) and carefully flip it over to cook on the other side, about 2-3 mins more.
- Add a little more butter to the pan and cook the remaining slices.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired and serve with syrup.