Apple Puff Pastry TartsOctober 25, 2017 By Cathy — 9 Comments
Elegant and easy, these apple tarts are the perfect finish to your next dinner party.
As promised, I’m keeping the fall party theme going this week but today we’re swapping out our pumpkins for apples. It’s another sweet treat; glazed and shiny, puffed and golden. If you’ve observed that I’ve been on a bit of a baking jag here recently, well then you get a gold star. There’s just something about the fall that makes me want to dive head first into flour and sugar.
Despite the fact that we’re on track to have one of the warmest October’s on record (global warming whaaaa?), I’m still craving all the squash, apples, cinnamon and nutmeg. So I’ve traded in my grill and extra long tongs for oven mitts and cookie cutters.
Today the apple gets to wear the shiny crown and strut its stuff in these individual puff pastry tarts. It’s basically a miniaturized French apple tart made even simpler by using puff pastry as the crust. These make a striking and elegant dessert to serve at a small dinner party or a tasty finish to an intimate Thanksgiving gathering. Two liberal brushings of the glaze insure that our tarts look as good as they taste.
These pretty little tarts are only one of the many apple recipes coming at you today. I’ve again joined forces with a ton of talented food bloggers to bring you all things apple. Thanks to Ruth, Rebecca (Square Meal Round Table) and Annie (What Annie’s Eating) for organizing and be sure to check out #aisforalltheapples on Instagram for all the apple eye candy. The list of recipe links is below, followed by the recipe for my apple puff pastry tarts. Happy baking.
Cloudy Kitchen’s Salted Caramel and Apple Babka
Square Meal Round Table’s Chai Spiced Tarte Tatin
The Wood and Spoon’s Maple Apple Cake
The Cooking of Joy’s Deep Fried Apple Dumplings with Miso Caramel Dipping Sauce
Pensive Foodie’s Mini Bacon Crusted Apple Pies
My Kitchen Love’s Bird’s Nest Caramel Apple Cake
More Icing Than Cake’s Apple Butter Pretzels with Rosemary Cheddar Dip
Casey Joy Lister’s Waldorf Salad’s Twisted Sister
The Kitchen Sink’s Apple Cheddar Loaf
What Should I Make For’s Apple Puff Pastry Tarts
Jessie Sheehan Bakes’ Apple Fritters
Smart in the Kitchen’s Gluten Free Apple Cranberry Crisp
This Healthy Table’s Cardamom Apple Tart
Figs & Flour’s Apple Purple Potato Pizza
Something New for Dinner’s Savory Bread Pudding with Apples, Sausage, and Pecan
Always Eat Dessert’s Apple Spice Scones with Maple Bourbon Glaze
Rezel Kealoha’s Rose Poached Apples with Rosewater Reduction
The Soup Solution’s Fennel Sausage and and Apple Dressing (Stuffing)
Lemon Thyme and Ginger’s Smoky Maple Apple Dutch Baby
Gobble the Cook’s One Pan Pork Chops and Sausages with Apple
Hola Jalapeno’s Fluffy Apple Chili Biscuits
Salt and Wind’s Pomegranate Ginger Apple Cider Punch
What Annie’s Eating’s Butternut Squash/Apple Soup with Asiago and Sage Croutons
Flours in Your Hair’s Brown Butter Bourbon Apple Pie
Confetti Kitchen’s Kale Salad with Chicken and Apple
Salted Plains’ Gluten-Free Apple Crumb Cake
Easy and Delish’s Fun Candy Corn Apple Pops
This Mess is Ours’ Easy Baked Apple Custard
Butter Loves Company’s Gingerbread with Brandied Apples
Zestful Kitchen’s Puffed Apple Pancake
Sweet Pillar Food’s Apple Honey Brie
A Farmgirl’s Dabbles Peanut Butter Apple Cookies
Amee’s Savory Dish’s Peanut Butter Protein Dip
Especially Southern Dishes’ Apple Pie Egg Rolls
Pie Girl Bakes’ Salted Caramel Apple Pie
Cocoa and Salt’s Vegan Apple Stuffin’ Muffins
Saltnpepperhere’s Honey Apple Muffins
Worthy Pause’s Thanksgiving-in-Your-Mouth Paleo Stuffing
Baking The Goods’ Apple Cheddar and Thyme Scones
Smart in the Kitchen’s Gluten Free Apple Cranberry Crisp
Measuring Cups Optional’s Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
Inspired by the Seasons’ Brussels Sprout & Apple Slaw
Sprouting Radiance’s White Bean and Apple Soup
Feed the Swimmer’s Apple Buckwheat Galette with Halva and Maple Tahini
It’s a Veg World After All’s Individual Microwave Apple Crisp
Farm and Coast Cookery’s Apple Cider Donut “French Toast”
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (from a 17.3 oz package)
- 2 apples (I like honeycrisp)
- 1½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp sugar
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- Apple Glaze
- 3 Tbsp apple cider
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp Cavados (apple brandy)
- ¼ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1½ tsp corn starch
- *whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet tray with parchment.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet on the counter for about 20-30 mins until it is pliable enough to roll. Roll the puff pastry into a 10x9 inch rectangle.
- Cut four - 4½ inch rounds from the puff pastry and place them on the lined sheet tray. Prick the centers with a fork several times, leaving a ½ border around the edge. Place into the refrigerator to chill while you prep the apples.
- Peel, core and slice the apples in half vertically. Lay each apple half cut side down on the cutting board and slice into very thin half moons. Toss the apple slices with lemon juice in a bowl.
- Take the puff pastry out of the refrigerator and brush the edges with heavy cream.
- Lay the apple slices in a tight concentric circle on each pastry round, leaving a half inch border around the edge. Cut several apple slices in half and lay them down the center of each tart.
- Brush the apples with the melted butter and sprinkle with sugar and a dash of cinnamon.
- Bake the tarts for about 30 mins, until the edges are puffed and the apples and crusts are golden brown, brushing midway through cooking with the glaze.
- While the tarts are cooking, make the glaze. Whisk all the ingredients together in a small saucepan and heat over high heat.
- Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 2 mins. Remove from the heat and let stand.
- Brush the tarts liberally with the glaze midway through baking and again, immediately after you remove them from the oven.
- Serve the tarts warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.